For the longest time I have wanted a zester/mircoplane and yesterday I finally found one on sale at Home Goods. I was so happy in the store people were giving me weird looks, but that's ok because I now have a zester!! I have been saving up recipes that need a zester and this was my first choice. I love sugar cookies and I love lemons, so this recipe was a no brainer. While making them, I loved how my kitchen smelled, like fresh lemons. I had a serious problem keeping my fingers out of the cookie dough. I think I ate about 4 cookies worth of dough, which normally I don't do, but I couldn't resist with these. Needless to say, I was very excited to take them out of the oven, but I was patient and let the cookies cool. I ate one faster then you can say "lemon sugar cookie!" A little later, when I was taking pictures, I took a bit out of one for effect, but then couldn't resist taking another bite, and by then end of the photo shoot the cookie was gone. All I can say is good thing I went on a run today...
Yield about 3 dozen depending on size
1 Cups Butter, unsalted and room temperature
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
Zest of 1-2 large lemons, I would recommend at least 1 1/2
4 Tablespoons of Fresh Lemon Juice
2 3/4 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Extra sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Roll tablespoon size balls of dough in the extra sugar. Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Let cool, then ENJOY!